1918 San Jacinto earthquake
|Date||April 19, 1892|
|Origin time||22:32:25 UTC|
|Epicenter||33°42′N 117°00′W / 33.7°N 117°WCoordinates: 33°42′N 117°00′W / 33.7°N 117°W|
|Max. intensity||IX (Violent)|
|Casualties||1 dead, several injured|
The 1918 San Jacinto earthquake occurred in extreme eastern San Diego County in Southern California on April 21 at 14:32:25 local time. The shock had a moment magnitude of 6.7 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent). Several injuries and one death occurred. Total losses were estimated to be $200,000.
Many of the buildings in San Jacinto's business district were of poor construction and all but one frame building and one concrete building collapsed though high quality structures did not experience serious damage. Minor damage to other buildings within 160 kilometers (99 mi) of San Jacinto also occurred. Roadways and irrigation canals also sustained damage and small sand blows were seen on a farm near San Jacinto.
The earthquake occurred on a Sunday afternoon when most of the businesses in San Jacinto were closed and void of customers. The business district had the greatest damage, though Hemet was also severely damaged. The area was surveyed for three days about a week following the event, it was found that damage to chimneys, windows, and plaster walls occurred to buildings and structures within 100 miles of San Jacinto, but not all locations with damage were surveyed. Some of the damage that was inspected included landslides, partially collapsed buildings, and damaged irrigation canals and roads. Ground cracks were observed near the banks of the San Jacinto river and sand blows were seen on a farm northwest of San Jacinto.
- List of earthquakes in 1918
- List of earthquakes in California
- List of earthquakes in the United States
- Stover, C. W.; Coffman, J. L. (1993), Seismicity of the United States, 1568–1989 (Revised), U.S. Geological Survey professional paper 1527, United States Government Printing Office, pp. 76, 122
- National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS), Significant Earthquake Database, National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA, doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- Townley, S. D. (1918), "The San Jacinto earthquake of April 21, 1918", The Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Seismological Society of America, VIII (2–3): 45–52