History and profile
The magazine was founded in 1928 at Milan by Guido Marangoni. Its initial name was La Casa Bella (The Beautiful Home). In 1933, the architect Giuseppe Pagano became its director, changing its name to Casa Bella. Subsequently, the architect Ernesto Nathan Rogers, who had the direction of the magazine from 1953 until 1965, changed its name further to Casabella Continuità. Earlier, the magazine changed its names becoming Casabella Costruzioni, Costruzioni Casabella, and again, after the departure of Rogers, Casabella.
During its history, Casabella featured many important architects and designers, including Franco Albini, Gae Aulenti, and Marco Zanuso, contributing as creative editors. It has published some articles written by Barry Bergdoll, curator at the Department of Architecture and Design of The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) of New York City.
After being led by Vittorio Gregotti between 1981–1996, the magazine's directorship has been taken over by Francesco Dal Co. It is published by Gruppo Mondadori with a 2014 circulation of 45,000 copies.
- "Magazines". Mondadori. Archived from the original on 9 November 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- AnnMarie Brennan (July 2011). "Instrument of Industrial Modernization to Cultural Platform: A glimpse at the use of architecture in some Italian magazines, 1937-1965". Proceedings of the XXVIIIth SAHANZ Annual Conference. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Design Dictionary on Casabella Archived November 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine., Retrieved 11 October 2009.
- "The Museum of Modern Art (Moma) Announces Key Curatorial Appointment" (PDF). Press office of the Department of Communications of The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-04-10.
- Chiara Baglione, Casabella 1928-2008, Electa, Milano 2008.