(Wells and Wellington, 1984)
Christinus is a genus of Gekkonidae geckos found in southern regions of Australia. It contains species and subspecies that are regionally termed as marbled geckos. The contrasted patterns of these geckos, marbling, are found in a variety of reddish-brown, grey, silver, white, black and purplish hues. They are frequently found in old knotted trees and sometimes congregate in large numbers in established urban environments.
Christinus was first described by Wells and Wellington in 1984, giving the types species as that published as Diplodactylus marmoratus Gray 1845. Their later proposal to establish a genus Ridegekko, based on Boulenger's original description of Phyllodactylus guentheri (C. guentheri), is not given in later literature. The genus has been described as containing two species, the island population and the widespread southern population. The latter, C. marmoratus, has two or more subspecies in its distribution range. One proposed subspecies, Christinus marmoratus alexanderi Storr, has been elevated by some authorities to the rank of species.
- C. alexanderi (endemic to Nullarbor Plain)
- C. guentheri, (Lord Howe and Norfolk Island)
- C. marmoratus, (widespread: southern mainland, northwest interior, islands)
- C. m. macrodactylus
- C. m. marmoratus
- Browne-Cooper, Robert; Brian Bush; Brad Maryan; David Robinson (2007). Reptiles and Frogs in the Bush: Southwestern Australia. University of Western Australia Press. pp. 108, 109. ISBN 978-1-920694-74-6.
- Wells, Richard. "Etymology of Wells and Wellington Names". Taxonomy discussion. kingsnake.com.
- Wells, R.W. & Wellington, C.R. 1984. A synopsis of the class Reptilia in Australia. Australian Journal of Herpetology 1(3-4): 73–129 [1983 on title page]
- "Christinus". Reptiles Database. J. Craig Venter Institute. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- Donnellan, S. C., Aplin, K. P. and Dempsey, P. J. (2000). Genetic and morphological variation in Australian Christinus (Squamata : Gekkonidae): preliminary overview with recognition of a cryptic species on the Nullarbor Plain. Australian Journal of Zoology 48, 289–315.
- Greer, A.E. 2006. Encyclopedia of Australian Reptiles. Australian Museum Online Version date: 7 August 2006
Data related to Christinus at Wikispecies