| Cochranella euknemos|
(Savage and Starrett, 1967)
Centrolenella euknemos Savage and Starrett, 1967
Cochranella euknemos, sometimes known as the San Jose Cochran frog, is a species of frog in the Centrolenidae family. It is found in central Costa Rica and south/eastward to Panama and to the western flank of the Cordillera Occidental in Colombia (Antioquia and Chocó Departments).
Cochranella euknemos are small frogs, males growing to 25 mm (0.98 in) and females to 32 mm (1.3 in) in snout–vent length. They are dorsally blue-green and a little granular, with many small whitish or yellowish spots. Ventrally they are transparent white, but with more yellow on the undersides of the arms and legs. Iris is grayish ivory. Feet are moderately webbed.
Habitat and conservation
The species' natural habitats are humid lowland, premontane, and montane forests. It occurs in bushes and trees along forest-covered streams. Its altitudinal range is 100–1,940 m (330–6,360 ft) asl in Colombia, slightly less elsewhere.
Cochranella euknemos is generally threatened by deforestation in Panama, and east of the Panama Canal, chytridiomycosis. In Costa Rica it has declined and has not been seen since 1986, despite dedicated survey efforts, but the reasons for this decline are not currently known.
- Solís, F.; Ibáñez, R.; Chaves, G.; Savage, J.; Jaramillo, C.; Fuenmayor, Q. & Kubicki, B. (2008). "Cochranella euknemos". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2015.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Frost, Darrel R. (2015). "Cochranella euknemos (Savage and Starrett, 1967)". Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. American Museum of Natural History. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Acosta-Galvis, A.R. (2015). "Cochranella euknemos (Savage & Starrett, 1967)". Lista de los Anfibios de Colombia V.05.2015. www.batrachia.com. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Cochranella euknemos Savage and Starrett 1967". Amphibians of Panama. Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Luis Humberto Elizondo C.; Federico Bolaños V. (2012). "Cochranella euknemos". Biodiversidad de Costa Rica. Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad. Retrieved 19 June 2015.