Institute of Architects Bangladesh
বাংলাদেশ স্থপতি ইন্স্টিটিউট
The Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB) (Bengali: বাংলাদেশ স্থপতি ইন্স্টিটিউট Bānglādēsh Sthāpāti Institute ) is a professional organization for architects in Bangladesh. Architect Muzharul Islam was its founder president. The IAB works with different government organization & offers education, government advocacy to improve the quality of architecture profession in Bangladesh.
The Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB) was founded in Dhaka on 25 February 1972. Through a nine-month Liberation War, Bangladesh got its independence from Pakistan on 16 December 1971. Three million of people died, ten million were homeless & thousands of houses were demolished during the war. IAB was formed within 3 months after the war ended to support the development of Bangladesh and help rebuild this war torn country.
More than 2,500 licensed architects are members of IAB.
There are three levels of membership in the IAB depending on professional experience.
- Associate Member
- Fellow (Member with minimum 20 years experience)
There have another category for students as Student Member.
Presidents of Institute of Architects Bangladesh
- Architect Muzharul Islam (Late)
- Architect S.H.M.A Bashar (Late)
- Architect M.A. Muktadir
- Architect Shah Alam Zahiruddin
- Architect Mahbub Haque
- Architect Rabiul Husain
- Architect Shamsul Wares
- Architect Khadem Ali
- Architect Mubasshar Hussein
- Architect Abu Sayeed M Ahmed (Present)
1. Ar. Abu Sayeed M Ahmed PhD (President)
2. Ar. Jalal Ahmed (Vice-President (National Affairs))
3. Ar. Masudur Rahman Khan (Vice-President, International Relations)
4. Ar. Qazi Muhammad Arif (General Secretary)
5. Ar. Ar. Mamnoon Murshed Chowdhury (Assistant General Secretary)
6. Ar. Nowajish Mahbub (Treasurer)
7. Ar. Mahmudul Anwar Riyaad (Secretary, Education)
8. Ar. Ehsan Khan (Secretary, Profession)
9. Ar. Shahnawaz Masud (Secretary, Membership)
10. Ar. M. Masud Ur Rashid (Secretary, Publication & Publicity)
11. Ar. Farhana Sharmin (Secretary, Seminar & Convention)
12. Ar. Asif Md. Ahsanul Haq (Secretary, Heritage & Culture)
13. Ar. Shaila Joarder (Secretary, Environment & Urbanization)
14. Ar. Md. Taslimuddin Chowdhury (Chairman, Chittagong Chapter)
15. Ar. Mubasshar Hussain (Immediate Past President)
- UIA : Union of International Architects
- CAA : Commonwealth Association of Architects
- ARCASIA: Architects Regional Council for ASIA
- SAARCH : South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation of Architects
- "Authorities plan to transform 200-year old Dhaka Central Jail into amusement centre". Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Past Executive & Other Committees". www.iab.com.bd. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Tannery shift faces treatment plant dilemma | Dhaka Tribune". 2016-10-02. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- Executive Committee, IAB. http://www.iab.com.bd/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=68&Itemid=101
- "Fountainous reopening of Doyel Chattar". thedailystar.net. The Daily Star. 2016-05-08. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Architecture reflects national taste". thedailystar.net. 2014-12-29. Retrieved 2016-10-03.