Kure Naval Arsenal

Battleship Yamato under construction at Kure Naval Arsenal
Midget Submarines in a drydock at Kure

Kure Naval Arsenal (呉海軍工廠 Kure Kaigun Kosho) was one of four principal naval shipyards owned and operated by the Imperial Japanese Navy.


The Kure Naval District was established at Kure, Hiroshima in 1889, as the second of the naval districts responsible for the defense of the Japanese home islands. Along with the establishment of the navy base, a ship repair facility was also constructed, initially by moving the equipment from the Onohama shipyards near Kobe. Construction was supervised by the French engineer Louis-Émile Bertin. The first warship constructed at Kure, Miyako, was launched in 1897. The "Kure Shipyards" were officially renamed the "Kure Naval Arsenal" in 1903.

Kure developed into one of the largest shipbuilding facilities in the Empire of Japan, capable of working with the largest vessels. The Arsenal included a major steel works (built with British assistance), and also facilities for producing naval artillery and projectiles. The battleships Yamato and Nagato were designed and constructed at Kure.

The facilities of the Kure Naval Arsenal were repeatedly targeted for bombing by the United States Navy during World War II, and over 70% of its buildings and equipment was destroyed.

After the surrender of Japan in 1945, the Kure Naval Arsenal was turned over to civilian hands.

Current facilities

The extensive dry dock, ship building, repair and engineering facilities are now owned and operated by Japan Marine United, one of Japan's largest merchant marine and naval shipbuilders.

See also

Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kure Naval Arsenal.


Coordinates: 34°13′55″N 132°33′14″E / 34.232°N 132.554°E / 34.232; 132.554

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 6/28/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.