List of amphibians of Puerto Rico
This is a list of the amphibians of the archipelago of Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rican archipelago consists of the main island of Puerto Rico, two island municipalities, Vieques and Culebra, one minor uninhabited island, Mona and several smaller islands and cays.
This list only includes animals with verifiable established populations in the archipelago of Puerto Rico. Many species of amphibians are introduced, both legally (mainly through the pet industry) and illegally, to the archipelago of Puerto Rico every year, with some of these species being subsequently released into the wild. However, non-viable breeding species do not constitute a breeding population and hence they lack inclusion in this list.
The following tags help provide additional information regarding the status of each species.
- endemic This species is endemic to the archipelago of Puerto Rico.
- extinct This species is extinct.
- extirpated This species no longer occurs in the archipelago Puerto Rico but other populations exist elsewhere.
- introduced This species was introduced to the archipelago of Puerto Rico.
- Caja de Muertos This species occurs in Caja de Muertos Island.
- Cayo Batata This species occurs in Cayo Batata.
- Cayo Santiago This species occurs in Cayo Santiago.
- Desecheo This species occurs in the island of Desecheo.
- Magueyes This species occurs in Magueyes island.
- Monito This species occurs in the island of Monito.
- Culebrita This species occurs in the island of Culebrita.
- Rivero, Juan A. (1998). Los anfibios y reptiles de Puerto Rico. San Juan, Puerto Rico: University of Puerto Rico Press. ISBN 978-0-8477-0243-5.
- "The Herpetofauna of Sabana Seca, Puerto Rico". Naval Security Group Activity Sabana Seca. Retrieved March 30, 2006.
- "Puerto Rico's Anoles". Archived from the original on March 11, 2006. Retrieved March 31, 2006.
- Heatwole, H., Sade, Donald S., and Hildreth, R. (March 1963). "Herpetofauna of Cayo Santiago and Cayo Batata" (PDF). Caribbean Journal of Science. 3 (1): 1–5.
- Heatwole, H., Levins, R., and Byer, M.D. (1981). "Biogeography of the Puerto Rican Bank" (PDF). Atoll Research Bulletin. The Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved April 2, 2006.
- Rios-López, N. and R. Thomas. 2007. A new species of palustrine Eleutherodactylus (Anura: Leptodactylidae) from Puerto Rico. Zootaxa 1512: 51–64