|Yellow-spotted river turtle|
6 sp., see text
Podocnemis is a genus of aquatic turtles commonly known as South American river turtles. The genus consists of six extant species occurring in tropical South America. Three additional species are only known from fossils.
These species are extant.
- Podocnemis erythrocephala – red-headed Amazon River turtle
- Podocnemis expansa – Arrau turtle
- Podocnemis lewyana – Magdalena River turtle
- Podocnemis sextuberculata – six-tubercled Amazon River turtle
- Podocnemis unifilis – yellow-spotted river turtle
- Podocnemis vogli – savanna side-necked turtle
The following three species are extinct:
- Podocnemis, The Reptile Database
- Wood, R.C. (1997). Turtles. In Kay, R. F., Madden, R. H., Cifelli, R. L. y J. J. Flynn (eds)., Vertebrate Paleontology in the Neotropics. The Miocene Fauna of La Venta, Colombia. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington.