Seeadler Harbor, also known as Port Seeadler, is located on Manus Island, Admiralty Islands, Papua New Guinea and played an important role in World War II. In German, "Seeadler" means sea eagle, pointing to German colonial activity between 1884 and 1919 in that area. The Harbour was named in 1900 after the German cruiser SMS Seeadler.
On 29 February 1944, General Douglas MacArthur led Operation Brewer to take the islands from the Japanese who had occupied them beginning in 1942. The islands were secured by the Americans on 19 March 1944, who then built a large base at Seeadler Harbor including wharves and an airbase. This base served as a staging area for further World War II operations in New Guinea and the Philippines.
USS Mount Hood (AE-11) exploded accidentally while moored in Seeadler Harbor on 10 November 1944. The ship was carrying ammunition and the tremendous explosion caused 432 fatalities, 371 wounded, damage to surrounding ships and base from debris and sinking or severely damaging 22 smaller craft.
A Japanese Mitsubishi A6M reconnaissance aircraft reported "two large aircraft carriers" at Seeadler Harbor on 22 April 1945, which were actually the U.S. Navy's Large Auxiliary Floating Dry Docks ASDB-2 and ASDB-4. Two Nakajima B5N torpedo bombers attacked the floating drydocks five nights later. Both were hit but received only moderate damage to a single pontoon each.
The wrecks of the floating drydocks and an Imperial Japanese ship amongst others are located within the harbor.
- Chapter XVII: Logistic Support at Seeadler and at Sea in Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil by Rear Adm. Worrall Reed Carter, USN (Retired), retrieved 16 April 2016.
- USS Mount Hood (AE-11) entry in the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, retrieved 16 April 2016.
- AFDB-2 and AFDB-4 on PacificWrecks.com, retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Seeadler Harbor on PacificWrecks.com, retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Gaining Control of Seeadler Harbor". The Admiralties: Operations of the 1st Cavalry Division 29 February - 18 May 1944. Washington, D.C.: United States Army Center of Military history. 1990 . - full text